“Personal information” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural personal is one who can be identified directly or indirectly from that information.
Who we are
This website is operated by Armstrong and North Ltd (“we”, “us” or “our”). For more information about us and what we do, please click armstrongandnorth.com/about-us
We collect, use and are responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so, we comply with applicable data protection laws and we are the ‘data controller’ of your personal information. We are registered in the United Kingdom (number ZA015310) and our address is at Armstrong and North Ltd Magor, Square, Magor, Gwent, NP26 3HY. The data controller is David Armstrong.
Our website may contain links to third party websites. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
This website is not intended for anyone under 18 years of age and we do not knowingly collect data relating of anyone under the age of 18 years.
Our collection and use of your personal information
We collect certain personal information about you when you use our website and when you purchase something from our on-line store, as part of the buying and selling process. Some of this personal information is collected directly, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, date of birth, address, email address and details of the products you purchase, and some is collected indirectly, such as your browsing activity while on our website (see ‘Cookies’ below).
When you browse our store, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
When placing an order for Optical Appliances and Optical Dispensing Services with us, you consent to receiving ongoing communications from our Dispensing Optician(s) and our customer care team to ensure that we can provide aftercare services and advice in relation to the optical appliances you have been supplied. The aftercare services will include, but not limited to, advice on insertion and removal of lenses, wearing schedules, caring for lenses, hygiene and emergency situations.
Email marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send you emails about our on-line shop, new products, offers and other updates we believe to be relevant to you.
The personal information we may collect about you includes:
- your name, address, date of birth, and contact details
- details of any feedback you give us by phone, email, post or via social media
- your preferences in receiving marketing from us and your communication preferences
- registration data including username and passwords
- transaction data such as details about payments
- information about the products and services we provide to you
- information about how you use our website
- your internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website
We use this personal information to:
- use data analytics to improve our website, apps and services
- administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing and system maintenance)
- process orders, payments and refunds
- customise the website and its content to your particular preferences, to create and manage your account, verify your identity, provide goods and services, and improve our services
- notify you of any changes to our website or to our services that may affect you
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider a variety of factors including the amount and nature of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure, the purposes for which we process it and applicable law. We may anonymise your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
In general, we retain your transactional information and personal details for up to 15 years from the time of your last order with us.
If we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you.
How you can update your data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to access information held about you (also known as Subject Access Request). If you opt to exercise this right and we agree that we are obliged to provide personal information to you (or someone else on your behalf), we will provide it to you or them free of charge (within 28 working days).
Before providing personal information to you or another person on your behalf, we may ask for proof of identity and sufficient information about your interactions with us in order to verify identity.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information
We only use your personal information when the law allows us to. We will use your personal information for the purposes described above in the following circumstances:
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. Our legitimate interests include if you have left an abandoned basket on our site or if we believe there is a product that you might prefer, based on your recent purchase history. Reminders to renew your lenses are also of legitimate interest so that you do not run out, or have not, in any way, exceeded the recommended duration of the lens/solution life. We will also occasionally send you your balance of reward points that you have collected with us as they can be used to purchase more of your product. Where there is important medical information that relates to products (contact lenses are medical devices) we will send out information via emails. We ensure to maintain a balance of any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your data for our legitimate interests. You’ve the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of personal information concerning you which is based on legitimate interests. More information on this right and on how to exercise it is set out below,
- Where we need to perform a contract, we are about to enter into or have entered into with you, and
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Who we share your personal information with
- internally amongst our staff but they will only use it to carry out their duties in line with the purposes set out above,
- with delivery services,
- with payment gateways,
- with fraud prevention service providers,
- with companies who provide services to us, such as hosting our website and performing analyses to improve the quality of our website and services,
- as may be necessary in connection with any merger, acquisition, divestiture or sale of all or part of our business. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice, and
- with law enforcement or other authorities if required by law.
We do not sell, rent or lease your personal information to third parties.
Transfer of your personal information out of the EEA
We do not transfer your personal information outside the European Economic Area
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies – these are cookies that are required for the operation of our website,
- Analytical/performance cookies – they allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily,
- Functionality cookies – these are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences, and
- Advertising cookies – these cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website. For further information on cookies generally visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
You have a number of important rights in relation to your personal information that you can generally exercise free of charge. In summary, your rights include the right to:
- access your personal information,
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold,
- require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations,
- receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations,
- object at any time to processing of your personal information for direct marketing,
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information, and
- restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
You can amend your preferences or unsubscribe at any time, by either logging into your account and following the directions, or by calling us on 0330 111 2713.
Keeping your personal information secure
To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
If you provide us with your credit card information, we use a trusted payment processing service to process your payment and we do not store your credit/debit card information.
We use secure socket layer software (SSL) to encrypt personal information that you provide via your registered account on our website. This technology prevents you from inadvertently revealing personal information using an unsecure connection. Our website is certified with an SSL certificate, which verifies that our website is secure.
We keep your information confidential and store user personal data on a secure server, which is password protected and firewall protected. Any data we collect may be transferred to and stored at ionos.co.uk.
How to contact us